OCS offers you potential lead paint testing services for all types of industries, buildings and projects. Please contact us to discuss your needs, get a free estimate, or schedule an appointment:
What is Lead?
Lead is a chemical element that was used in a number of applications including the production of paint, pipes, and ammunition. Lead is an ingestion and inhalation hazard. It is a neurotoxin that can accumulate in the body and result in nervous system damage and other significant health effects.
Do You Need Lead Paint Testing?
You may need lead paint testing for:
- Regulatory Compliance
- Planning Project Work
- Worker/Occupant Protection
- Address Concerns of Lead Exposure
- Buying or Selling a Building/Home
Paints made before 1950 contained large amounts of lead. In fact, some paint made in the 1940s contained up to 50% lead by dry weight. If your home was built before 1960, it was likely painted with lead-based paint. Since the 1950’s, the use of lead has been more common in exterior paint than interior paint. Subsequently, the use of lead in paints decreased significantly. Currently, under the Hazardous Products Act, lead levels in indoor paint are limited to 0.5 per cent by weight. There are proposed regulatory changes for both interior and exterior consumer paints to limit lead in paints to 0.06 per cent by dry weight. In homes built after 1980, there is little need for concern about lead levels in interior paints. All post-1992 consumer paint produced in Canada or the US for indoor use is virtually lead-free.
– Health Canada
Lead Paint Testing Methodology
A qualified consultant carries out lead paint testing using the following methodology:
- Conducting a visual inspection of building surface coating(s) of concern.
- Collection of representative samples of potential Lead containing paint.
- Samples are analysed using a 3rd party accredited Laboratory.
- Preparation of a formal report detailing findings, regulatory requirements, and appropriate recommendations.
Please contact OCS to discuss your needs, get a free estimate, or schedule an appointment. OCS is based in Ottawa,Ontario, Canada. We service all surrounding areas including Kingston and Cornwall.
1. Health Canada – Lead Information Package
2. Ministry of Labour – Lead on Construction Projects
3. Environmental Abatement Council of Ontario – Lead Guideline for Construction, Renovation, Maintenance, or Repair
1-125 Pretoria Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1S 1W8